The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of personalized home-based physical activity programs for older adults by means of a tablet application (gymCentral), and to explore the relationship with physical, psychological and social wellbeing. The study was managed by Smart Crowds Territorial Lab. ... (read more)
University of Trento Trento Rise Smart Crowds CreateNet Philips Technical University of Eindhoven FBK
Usability and effectiveness of tablet-based training programs
The research group behind gymcentral has been running several user studies with people of different skills and culture, from younger to frail adults, where we have not only demonstrated that tablet-based training programs are feasible, but their are significantly more engaging and effective compared to paper and pen instructions.
Relationship between health and wellbeing
Regular physical activity or exercise substantially prevents the development and progression of most chronic degenerative diseases [Chodzko- Zajko et al 2009]; it is of benefit to frail and older persons, and is the only therapy found to consistently improve sarcopenia, physical function, cognitive performance and mood in older adults [Landi et al. 2010]. For older people, a sedentary lifestyle also increases the risk of falls, whereas physically active older people have a reduced risk of falls with injuries [Thibaud et al. 2011]. In summary, to increase people’s quality of life and fitness, we need to encourage them to become more physically active.
Relationship between physical health and mental health
The Latin used to say "mens sana in corpore sano". Physical and mental health are closely related, at all ages. As we get older, physical activity also plays a role in delaying the onset of dementia. Physcal activity is even related to happiness: the more active you are, the happier you are. Gymcentral training exploit this correlation by tuning exercises to maximize your mental health and to balance your soul. It has also been known for thousands of years that meditation and mindfulness practice help us become free of stress. These are practices that can be learned and that, if applied, will make a big difference in our lives. Gymcentral trains you in meditation and keeps you hooked to it.
Training for seniors
- Khaghani Far Iman, Nikitina Svetlana, Báez Marcos, Taran Ekaterina, Casati Fabio. Fitness Applications for Home-based Training. To appear in Pervasive Computing, IEEE (2016). DOWNLOAD .
- Khaghani Far Iman, Ferron Michela, Ibarra Francisco, Baez Marcos, Tranquillini Stefano, Casati Fabio, Doppio Niccola. The interplay of physical and social wellbeing in older adults: investigating the relationship between physical training and social interactions with virtual social environments. PeerJ Computer Science. DOWNLOAD .
- Iman Khaghani Far, Patrícia Silveira, Fabio Casati, and Marcos Baez. Unifying Platform for the Physical, Mental and Social Well-Being of the Elderly. Embedded and Multimedia Computing Technology and Service (2012): 385-392. DOWNLOAD .
- Patrícia Silveira, Eva van het Reve, Florian Daniel, Fabio Casati, Eling D. de Bruin. Tablet-based strength-balance training to motivate and improve adherence to exercise in independently living older people: a phase II preclinical exploratory trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research. DOWNLOAD .
- Patrícia Silveira, Eva van het Reve, Florian Daniel, Fabio Casati, Eling D. de Bruin. Tablet-Based Strength-Balance Training to Motivate and Improve Adherence to Exercise in Independently Living Older People: A Phase II Preclinical Exploratory Trial. Part 2: Effects on Physical Functioning. Journal of Medical Internet Research. DOWNLOAD .
- Eva van het Reve, Patrícia Silveira, Florian Daniel, Fabio Casati, Eling D. de Bruin. Tablet-Based Strength-Balance Training to Motivate and Improve Adherence to Exercise in Independently Living Older People: Part 2 of a Phase II Preclinical Exploratory Trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research. DOWNLOAD .
- Iman Khaghanifar, Francisco Ibarra, Marcos Baez and Fabio Casati. Virtual Social Gym: A Persuasive Training Platform for Independently Living Seniors. Persuasive 2014. DOWNLOAD .
The Happiness Triangle
- Laurin, Danielle, René Verreault, Joan Lindsay, Kathleen MacPherson, and Kenneth Rockwood. Physical activity and risk of cognitive impairment and dementia in elderly persons. Archives of neurology 58, no. 3 (2001): 498-504. DOWNLOAD .
- Yaffe, Kristine, Deborah Barnes, Michael Nevitt, Li-Yung Lui, and Kenneth Covinsky. A prospective study of physical activity and cognitive decline in elderly women: women who walk. Archives of internal medicine 161, no. 14 (2001): 1703-1708. DOWNLOAD .
- Lautenschlager, Nicola T., Kay L. Cox, Leon Flicker, Jonathan K. Foster, Frank M. van Bockxmeer, Jianguo Xiao, Kathryn R. Greenop, and Osvaldo P. Almeida. Effect of physical activity on cognitive function in older adults at risk for Alzheimer disease: a randomized trial. Jama 300, no. 9 (2008): 1027-1037. DOWNLOAD .
Meditation and Happiness